CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 3월 10일 월요일

Lord of the Flies : Settings



The setting in the novel that I thought was very memorable was the part when Piggy died and floated away to the ocean. It wasn’t memorable because I like killing people or the ocean, but it was because of the scene that was really odd. From my understanding, the scene had to be a very dreadful, sad, and ruthless. However, William Golding, the author of the novel, had a different idea. The setting was presented very calm, peaceful, and beautifully, and that fact that these two opposite things are presented like this, was just stuck in my head.
William Golding showed these things in many parts in the book such as, the island, the skull of the pig, and the boys themselves. The island was presented very beautifully just like the tropical island in the Caribbean, but what actually happened in there was totally different. The killing and the hunting was going on in the island, actually showing very cruel and ugly stuffs. The skull of the pig was the same. Showed as the “Lord of the Flies”, it was placed in the garden like place which was said to be the most beautiful place in the island. And lastly, the boys, the ones who should have been the most clean and naïve became the ones who are like the total opposite.
Thinking about these settings and scenes, I came with a great conclusion that these are very related to the theme of the book, which is “good vs. bad.” These settings told me that there is no such thing as totally good or totally bad. It actually showed me that where there is good, there is bad; meaning that good and bad is ideas that coexist. Being good or bad means the good/bad inside is bigger or can control the bad/good in you.
Well, these are why this scene of Piggy floating away, was very memorable.

4 개의 댓글:

익명 :
작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
익명 :

Personally, I don’t think Piggy’s death was memorable. In contrast, I think it was, rather, depressing and sad. Like you said, it was probably a dreadful time.

However, I do understand what you mean by “The setting was presented very calm, peaceful, and beautifully, and that fact that these two opposite things are presented like this, was just stuck in my head.”
Often, content and calm settings may be the opposite of what they are suppose to be. I thought Golding showed this well in his description of Simon’s death. After Simon dies, he floats away in the water, and Golding describes it in a way that makes it seem peaceful. Yet, I think this peacefulness makes the setting even more melancholic and depressing. Another setting that portrays this is when Ralph becomes rescued. He cries for his loss of innocence. It is a moment when there is great grief because Ralph realizes the ability of a man’s savageness. However, his crying is beautiful because it conveys the truth.

I totally agree with Golding’s idea of juxtaposition.
Often, when there is a bright sunny day, I feel melancholic. Even though most people think sunny days represent happiness, to me, it doesn’t. Sunny days usually bring up memories that make me want to go back. Nevertheless, I know that I will never be able to return, and I know I will never be able to experience the same thing again. This knowledge makes me miserable.
On the other hand, gloomy, rainy days make me feel happier. Even though I have the same feelings of melancholy because of the memories, the grimness, along with dreariness, comfort me.

Soulja Mogli :

hey jun do
I do agree that Piggy's death was memorable, but it is not only the scene that made it so odd. It is the action itself. To me the action itself was so shocking. Think about it. These kids are simply going around kiling each other, without realizing what they have done wrong. They have completely lost their morality and conscience, doing whatever they feel like. After they kiled Piggy, Jack and his followers did not fall on their knees, realizing what they have done wrong. They moved on with it, now trying to kil Ralph. That itself is pretty much shocking. Anyways, back to the subject of settings, I think you did a good job, studying the setting. You referred to the theme and others, pulling the puzzle together in one piece, creating a good interpretation and conclusion.

Strike Freedom :

There is a funny fact about this memorable setting. This setting is a parody of "the coral island". The coral island is a novel about three boys surviving on a deserted island. There are boys called "Jack" and "Ralph" that co-operates with each other and leads the island into a form of paradise and perfect peace. This novel is to promote the british civilisation and ability. William Golding tried to take this novel and criticize it. By setting the characters with same name and setting, but with different results.